Saturday, September 12, 2009

I went to see the RTE National Symphony Orchestra

It was good fun. Played some Brahms first and then Beethoven's 5th in the second half. For the most part of it was excellent soul nourishing fare--

Apart, that is, from the old woman that was SNORING beside me for most of the second half. I looked over and it looked like she was asleep, but no, she didn't even have this excuse, she had been awake the whole time. The woman knew what she was doing, I don't have words, I really don't.

I won't dwell on it, but if you are incapable of breathing silently please do NOT attend classical performances. Also, die.

But yeah, I'm still kind of annoyed over that. But that's just people for you, they just don't give a crap. How would the performers on stage feel if they saw somebody obviously snoring and oblivious to the world around them. Not good. But, I didn't say anything, should I have? Comment now please!

As for the performance itself, very enjoyable first half. Didn't think they had enough "umpf" for the Beethoven but it was still enjoyable. The NCH seems a bit on the small side for a full orchestra and the setup with the piano was a bit strange. Can the pianist usually not see the conductor? I felt that lead to a lack of synchronization between the piano and the rest of the orchestra but maybe that was just me.

So, looking forward to Germany and their concert orchestra and see how it stacks up. Hoping to be blown away!

No comments:

Post a Comment