Sunday, July 17, 2011

Feeling Roguish in General


Well, updating one's blog is a vaguely important thing to do. So I've decided to spend some time doing just that.

Sadly my writing is not progressing as I'd like it to right now, I'll dispose with the excuses. It's just not. The banquet of life is proving overly chewy for me at the moment so I'm just gritting my teeth and making good.

What is going well however is that cauldron of ideas that is my mind. I'm finding inspiration and material in everything right now, building up my internal store of writing fuel for when I finally do get back into the flow. So I can't complain.

So, what do I do when I'm not writing? This weekend found me playing a few hours of this little game I came across through one of the invaluable Total Biscuit WTF is... episodes. It's a rogue-like with graphics. If you don't know what a rogue like is, well, it's beyond the scope of this blog to explain it so I recommend a trip to google. You can check out the video covering it here. It was a very pleasant distraction.

I've also been listening to a lot of a podcast called Three Moves ahead. I've always had this fascination with war gaming even though I've never really got into one. The podcast is excellent food for thought both concerning what makes those games great but also concerning what makes the whole scene impenetrable for most. The only person I've ever been able to coerce into playing a war game with me was my brother, I've always shyed away from pursueing the hobby beyond the safety of my own home. Still, you can have a look (or listen) at the podcast here.

I'll probably organize some writing for myself soon. Even if it is just a short story or perhaps a review of something. In the mean time, I'm happy to be able to distract myself for a time before I need to return the fray at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment